Saturday, December 26, 2009

Right or Wrong.

I have always been very proud of my "talent".
And that's being able to speak accurate and fluent mandarin.
But in Singapore, at times people's comments make me feel like a freak.

"Wa! Speak madarin with you very stress leh. Relax la."
"Eh, can don't speak to me like as if you are on radio not?"

These are insults, I feel.

The mandarin I speak is what we call "标准华语".
It's meant to be spoken like this in the first place.
So, why should there be a 标准 before 华语?
But if you don't, I totally understand; that's because we're in Singapore.
A country which emphasizes more on English.

For me, I'm this way today because I have interest in Mandarin.
I feel confident when speaking it.
Plus, I respect this mother tongue of mine.

On the other hand, I don't deny that your remarks affect me.
I start to speak just pure Singaporean mandarin.
In turn, my job is affected.
Because I don't really bite my words that hard on air now.
At times, I miss out the 'h' in words.
And that's definately something bad for me, for my job.

So, from this moment onwards, I'll start speaking my "标准华语".
You take it or leave it.

No comments: